Today, many jobs require the repetitive use of computers and staring at a screen for many hours, resulting in a condition known as computer vision. Computer vision is common, but it can put a serious strain on your eyes and cause pain. At Uptown Eyecare, serving Lake Nona, Hunters Creek, and Orlando, FL, we will perform a thorough eye exam and give you behavioral techniques to treat computer vision.
What Are Symptoms of Computer Vision?
Each person may experience computer vision differently, but here are some of the common symptoms. The issues could progress over time if you fail to address them.
- Dry eyes
- Headaches or migraines
- Blurred or double vision
- Itchy and irritated eyes
- Back and neck pain
How Is Computer Vision Treated?
Our optometrist will perform an eye exam to determine how to treat your computer vision. However, there are some easy steps you can do to make a significant improvement to your eyes and prevent computer vision.
- Take Breaks: Your eyes are not designed to stare at screens incessantly. You should look away from your screen every 20-30 minutes and look at something about 20 feet away. You also blink a lot less frequently while looking at screens. Put sticky notes on your screen to remind yourself to blink more often.
- Adjust Your Settings: You can adjust the brightness, font, and contrast on your screen for immediate improvement.
- Reduce Glare: Excess glare from your computer screen can irritate your eyes. Consider a filter for your monitor or use natural light or overhead lights.
- Adjust Your Viewing Position: The ideal position for looking at a computer screen is a bit below eye level. Straining your neck or eyes to look at the screen can cause computer vision symptoms.
Schedule Your Eye Exam
Regular eye exams will ensure that your prescriptions are up to date. You'll also find out if you need glasses or contacts that will help reduce computer vision. Our optometrist can also offer options like blue light glasses to reduce glare and increase your comfort. In addition, our eye care provider may suggest the following tips:
- Increasing your water intake
- Using artificial tears or lubricating eye drops
- Taking prescription medication for increased tear production
- Use a humidifier to reduce dryness
Schedule an Appointment at Uptown Eyecare
Computer vision can affect your productivity and comfort, whether at work or home. At Uptown Eyecare, serving Orlando, Lake Nona, and Hunters Creek, FL, we treat computer vision and other conditions. We will help you keep your vision and eye health at their best. To learn more or schedule an appointment, call us today.